How to make a difference – Our Approach
On a different kind of holiday – Experience and Awareness
The major areas of intervention for the promotion of responsible eco-travel in the region can be broadly divided into the following classifications: ecological, cultural and socio-economic. With our intervention being in its nascent stages, we have only been able to address a very select few issues that surround the Spitian ecosphere. We are hopeful that in time with the support of all the varied stakeholders, we shall be able to address other pertinent issues that affect the socio-cultural, ecological and economic environment of Spiti.
Ecosphere’s Responsible Eco-Travel Core Principles:
- Tourism must benefit the local community in a manner that it preserves the culture and environment of the region.
- The host community must be adequately aware of the impacts of tourism and be sensitive enough to ensure that the destination is developed as a responsible eco-travel destination. Their capacity building for the same is one of the core objectives of Ecosphere.
- Tourism should be minimal impact.
- Capacity building of the local community with regards to services pertaining to the industry.
- Advocacy with the government to endorse responsible eco-tourism policies in the region for long term sustainability.
- To ensure that the guests are able to have an authentic and meaningful experience and learn about the host community and the social, economic and environmental issues pertaining to the region they have visited.
- Fostering tolerance and respect for different cultures and religions and ensuring that guests are adequately aware and observe the traditional and socio-cultural practices.
- Ensuring that there is no illicit trade in cultural artefacts, natural resources or wildlife.
- Promotion of traditional cultural activities such as music, dance forms, other art forms and crafts in a manner that they ensure their growth and continuity.
- Preservation and protection of wetlands, endangered species of wildlife and flora, geological heritage, etc.
- The incomes generated from tourism should be utilised towards the economic upliftment of the local community and for the overall sustainable development of the region. Investments in conservation activities and appropriate infrastructural development are also to be a major focus area.
- The key focus of all tourism products is the conservation of the regions cultural and natural heritage and resources.
- To work towards mitigating the impacts of climate change/ global warming by promoting carbon neutral tourism in the region along with making provisions for guests to invest in projects to offset carbon emissions.
- Ensuring travellers visits directly and indirectly enable the sustainable development of Spiti.
- Providing opportunities to ensure travellers get involved directly and indirectly in the sustainable development of Spiti.